Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Emmy Awards

Ah the Emmys. Definitely my favorite award show of the year.  Always a good host (sorry Anne Hathaway and James Franco at the Oscars), and always great entertainment. This year should be no exception with the very funny Jane Lynch hosting. From Glee, Jane has always had the best lines of comedy on the show. Now that she's writing her own lines (with the help of writers) I'm wondering whether it will be a different kind of comedy or whether she'll continue her character when hosting the show. Either way I'm very excited as to what she brings to the awards. I would also just like to throw out there that I am a huge fan of Jimmy Fallon who hosted last year, so we'll see if she beats his comical performances.


Looking at the list of nominations I find myself smiling.  Not only are almost all my favorite shows nominated, but a lot of the actor/actresses that I also love are nominated. Notice how I said almost… Yes, there are also a few shows that I am not currently watching that were nominated, which then replaced some of the ones I did want to be nominated.  But, let’s start with the glass half full and talk about what I’m happy about in this nomination list


First off, Parks and Recreation! Yes! This show finally is getting some much deserved attention. Just this summer I started watching Parks and Rec. and was stunned by the really funny characters that they portray on the show. But what surprises me even more is the amount of non-attention they get.  Like nine times out of ten when I’ve asked people if they’ve ever watched Parks and Rec. their responses are something like “I’ve heard of it…” or even worse “Parks and what?”  So yeah, that’s why I’m excited it’s finally getting some attention.  Honestly, I’m very happy about the whole list comedy shows which include: 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Glee, Modern Family, The Office, and of course Parks and Recreation. I watch all of these shows on regular basis and I think they’re all deserving of the award. Which one will win? I have no idea. But that’s okay because that’s what makes the Emmy’s exciting! I’d also like to point out that Louis C.K. was nominated for his performance on Louie which made me happy. The show was also nominated for comedy writing as well.  I just recently started watching Louie, but didn’t realize how popular it really was.  The writing is really good and I enjoy watching Louis C.K.’s “life” with the real stand-up comedy and the fake story lines that make up the show.

Don’t worry drama fans I’m going to mention your shows too! Actually not really, because I’m fairly happy with the nominations going on with them. Yes, I would like to have seen House get nominated again for best drama. But Hugh Laurie is still being nominated so I’ll live.  As for the rest of the dramas, I’m not really into most of them. I know that’s kind of sad considering they were nominated for an Emmy, but the only nominated drama that I watch a lot is Dexter and that gets nominated every year, as it should. 

Alright, now for the upsets.  Sorry if you’re not a Parks and Rec. fan but here I go again talking about it.  The character on the show named Ron Swanson is so funny and very creative and just really needs to get nominated. I’m sorry, maybe I’m the only one that thinks this, but come on! I’m just waiting for the day that Nick Offerman, the guy that plays Swanson gets a little recognition. And then there’s Community, another great comedy in the sea of NBC comedic waves.  Okay, it’s no 30 Rock or Modern Family, but it’s still a good show! I feel like Community is getting better and better and yet I don’t think anyone notices.

Well, the Emmy Awards are on tonight at 7 on FOX.  I hope you all have as much fun and I will watching them.  Hopefully I didn’t bore you too much with my little raves and rants for the various shows.  Just remember, if you do or don’t watch, we all need you to chant for people like Jimmy Fallon, Colbert, or Conan to win best variety, music, or comedy series so somebody can finally beat the dang Daily Show!

For the complete list of nominations for tonight’s awards, click here for the Emmy Awards website

No comments:

Post a Comment