Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Wait Is Over

This week has been an exciting week for television.  So many great shows have started their seasons, all of them being exciting and fun to watch. Some of the shows that I was excited to see begin include: How I Met Your Mother, Glee, The Middle, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Big Bang Theory, Community, Parks and Recreation, and of course the Emmy winner of the night Modern Family. So many shows, not enough time! There were also some new shows that premiered their pilots, this includes: Pan Am, The Playboy Club, New Girl, The X Factor, 2 Broke Girls, Revenge, Charlie's Angels, and Whitney.


Each week for about a month or so I will watch one of the new shows and talk about how I think their pilot went and whether or not I think the show will do well.  This probably will not be an accurate prediction.  Not because I can't tell what good TV is, but because the first episode of shows are often chaotic trying to get in information about their show in a timely matter and still have an eye catching and enjoyable pilot.  That's really hard.  In fact I read a book by Tina Fey called Bossypants where she joked about how bad she thought their first episode of 30 Rock went. "If you want to see a great pilot, watch the first episode of Cheers. It's charming, funny and well constructed. If you want to see an awkward sweaty pilot episode, watch 30 Rock. I will not be joining you, because I never want to watch that mess again." We all know how much better 30 Rock has gotten, even though I do like their pilot, I think it portrays that shows can and probably will change if they get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment