Sunday, May 6, 2012

How I Find Time to Watch TV

Watching television in an interesting "hobby." Most would probably not even consider it that, but that's beside the point. When I tell people about my slight obsession they question me all the time about how I have "enough time" to watch all of these shows. I would just like to clear the air on this issue. I'm a high schooler taking multiple AP classes and have extra-curricular activities as well. I do not have an abundance of time. How do I fit in these amazing shows? Here are my strategies.

1. I watch most of my shows on the internet. I say this a lot on my blog, but 90 percent of the time, I'm watching my favrotie shows on my computer. This allows me to decide when and where I can watch it, which works well with my hectic schedule. Why do I not use DVR or TiVo? Actually our DVR doesn't really ever work, but I kind of like not having to worry about recording the shows. You have to remember to do it, and if you run out of memory then you have to start deleting some. It's just so much easier for me to watch on my laptop. I also find it more comfortable. Laying on my bed  or couch with the screen close to my face is my ideal TV viewing experience. Yes, this means I'm alone. Yes, that's kind of sad. But it's comfortable and honestly what I have become accustomed to.

2. I hardly ever watch TV on a weekday. Unless I'm on a break from school, I rarely will sit down and watch TV. School nights are so crazy, I never have time to get in all my homework, let alone watch a show or two. Homework obviously takes priority, but if on the off chance that I have a minimal amount or there's an episode that I desperately want to see, I might take an hour or so to watch. So when do I watch the majority of my shows? You might guess weekends and breaks? Wow, you're right! As all of the amazing shows are accumulating throughout the week, I wait with anticipation for time. Time where I'm not bombarded with assignments and studying. Time that is not now, unfortunately, because AP exams are right around the corner. In my next post I'll explain why this is very depressing (hint: finale season!).

3. I always prioritize! If you've ever read my blog, you would know I watch A LOT of shows. In fact, there are still shows I have yet to talk about on my blog that I watch! When I do get a chance to watch a show or two, I can't just watch all of them. There are way too many. How do I stay up with a season but not cram in twenty shows in one sitting? There are shows that take priority during the weekend. Lately, my priority shows consist of Parks & Rec., 30 Rock, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, sometimes Grey's Anatomy, and Dexter (when its season is going).Why are these my priority? Probably because I like them the best. Well, except for Grey's.. honestly I just watch that because it's my guilty pleasure show. Of course I still throw in my other shows too. I watched New Girl and Mad Men a couple days ago, and I plan on trying to catch up with House in the near future.

So, people who keep asking me how I can fit school and watching TV in the same schedule.. I make it work! I don't go home everyday and watch TV. I have waaay to much homework for that. Instead, I consider it reward for week's (or trimester for breaks) worth of work. Sometimes I'm too busy even on the weekends, like this one. Do I watch it anyway? Of course not. I'm not obsessed to the point that I would hurt my grades or not be ready for the AP exams. TV, as I said, is a hobby. It's not a debilitating addiction that constantly consumes my life. It's something that I'm interested in and I will continue to enjoy for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment