Sunday, October 16, 2011

Premiere Week #4


This week Psych premiered it's season on USA and Last Man Standing premiered it's pilot on ABC.  Both of these shows I watched. Psych, because it's probably my most favorite show on USA currently, and Last Man Standing because I was very curious to see how it would do.

If you haven't heard of Last Man Standing, it's a traditional sitcom starring the very funny Tim Allen.  I was so surprised when I heard that Tim Allen was going back to sitcoms. I remember watching Home Improvement when I was pretty young, so my first reaction was "isn't he kind of old?" The answer is yes, he is kind of old. But it's okay because the three daughters he has on the show are fairly old as well, which makes it a bit more believable.

I was really scared to watch this show.  I had a really bad feeling that it's was going to be terrible.  That it would be awkward, or forced, or something that would ruin my ideas of Tim Allen. So what did I find when watching the pilot? I'm not really sure.  It wasn't very funny, the dialogue too good, and of course like any sitcom the acting is not superior.

Because I was kind of confused as to what I thought about the show, I looked up some reviews.  I was astonished by the result.  Almost every critic hated it, saying it just plainly was not funny.  But the audience disagreed.  According to this Washington Post article the show got a whopping 13.2 million viewers for the pilot and an even more surprising was that they had even more for the second episode.

Last Man Standing may not be your cup of tea (or bottle of beer if we're going along with the manly analogy), but it certainly is gaining some attention.  I don't think I will continue watching, but if anyone else is interested it's on every Tuesday night at 8pm on ABC.

No comments:

Post a Comment