Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Weekly Wonders: Glee

Did the title make you cringe? If so I'm not sure whether I should make an effort to make you read this or warn you to not.... either way I will talk about why I like (maybe love) the show Glee.  Have I lost my credibility yet?

If you've never seen Glee, here's what it's all about. (If you've never heard of it, come out of your cave and join modern society please!) The show is based on a show choir or "glee club" at a high school.  That's pretty much it. With a mix of high school drama and awesome musical numbers, this show has climbed it's way to the top and in it's current season it's falling right back down.  Why is this happening? Let's first begin with why it was popular in the first place.

First, the show is funny.  With the one-liner insults that Jane Lynch spews out her mouth added to a fully comedy capable of the cast, the show gets some good humor cred.

Second, they can sign and dance, and ALSO act! No joke, they really can.  I mean how many times have they been nominated for Emmys and Golden Globes?  And how awesome are they in those musical numbers? They are so talented! Here's a clip, it's not the coolest one, but it's hard to find one with good quality and I also really like Adele...


Lastly, the writing up until this season has been really good.  They've always been able to keep it fresh and exciting and not too over the top (for the most part).  The drama has just gone to far recently.  Honestly they are just running out of high school stereotypes. What? They use stereotypes? With the pregnant cheerleader, football player who gets made fun of when he joins glee club, a gay teenager that gets bullied, a teenage girl goes through a rebellious stage, the Asian kid who's really smart but wants to be a dancer but his father won't approve... it's getting old! Oh, but don't worry, they mix it up with stories of a lesbian teenager struggling to come out to her parents and a foreign exchange student who is struggling to fit in. No Glee, you need to lay off the drama! You are considered a comedy after all! I know this post is supposed (suppost... ha!) to be supporting the show and trying to get people to watch, but this season has been ridiculous. 

That is why it was only after one of it's most reason episodes that I decided to make this post.  After a long line of episodes that were pretty disappointing, hope came in "Hold on to Sixteen." In a little bit cheesy way, their glee club wins sectionals and everyone joins together happily once again (a group of members split off to form their own glee club earlier in the season).  I know this doesn't sound like much of a fix, what really got me was how much it resembled the old glee episodes.  The one's that people weren't to admit they watched.  I want that to come back so bad! It probably won't. I think Glee was just a passing fad.  But there's always hope...



No comments:

Post a Comment