Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Back in the Day...

During the Christmas season, I tend to think about family, traditions, and history as I celebrate this wonderful holiday.  As I reflected, I realized that there are many TV shows that I watched when I was younger that sparked my interest for television.  The list goes on and on for the various shows on PBS, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel. I would just like a moment to travel down memory lane and bring up some of my favorites that bring me joy when I look back on them.

Let me start with one way back in my memory. One that is and was an ultimate classic and will always be remembered as one of the best. Yes I think I know what you mean. The letter of the day is S... it's Sesame Street! This show had great characters, good lessons, cute songs, and above all else it was one of the first shows (other than Teletubbies) that I watched. Was this the show that made me lot TV so much? My fondest memory of this show consists of my mother and I sitting and watching in our living room. My mom drinking coffee and reading the newspaper as I watched Elmo sing to his fish and the cookie monster rave about cookies. I must admit that I also watched Barney on these mornings, but now that I look back on it that show is way too creepy for me to talk about.



I can mention one classic without talking about an even bigger one that has served as the childhood favorite generation through generation.  You know and love this talking dog and his "meddling" group of kids, yes it's Scooby-Doo. This show is the definition of my childhood television watching. I. Was. Obsessed. I watched it practically everyday, attained numerous videos of episodes and movies, and even had a stuffed pillow that I slept with every night. I'm not sure what drew me to this show. Was it the mysteries? The characters? The talking dog himself? I don't think I even knew back when I was watching it. It was just something that was entertaining and I loved. There wasn't any question to it's quality or content, it was purely something I just loved.

Speaking of beloved pillows, my second (actually third if you count the reindeer I also slept with) nighttime stuffed friend Patrick, was also a part of a show that exists in the childhood show hall of fame.  I think Spongebob Squarepants was one of the first shows I watched that was more comedy based, and I might have even been a catalyst into my comedy interest. Whether it was the Spongebob and Patrick comedy duo, Squidward being annoyed, Sandy singing about Texas, or Mr. Krabs addiction to money, this show is a masterpiece. It has to go down as one of the best animated shows ever.  It was so creative, innovative, funny, cute, stupid, and just everything that I loved about childhood is incorporated in their short episodes. One in particular that I loved was called "Band Geeks." Every morning before school I would watch the show, but I would only get to see the first in the two episode half hour.  Unfortunately "Band Geeks" was in the second half so I would end up begging my mom the let me stay and watch it almost every time it was shown.  Most of the time, even though it would make her late for work, she would let me watch it. Now with the internet I can just look it up on Youtube. Does this make me sad? A little bit. It doesn't really make it special anymore.  But the internet will always have it's pros and cons. Here's a clip if you've never seen it:


There are so many more shows that I watched; Power Rangers, Big Comfy Couch, Out of the Box, All That, The Amanda Show, Rocket Power, Drake & Josh,  the list goes on. I miss the days of watching these kind of shows. So innocent and fun in their own way.

There are also ones that are just fun to look back on. I watched these shows but I didn't really like them that much, and after searching the web for ones I did watch a lot, these brought back a lot of memories as well. Shows like The Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, As Told by Ginger, The Wild Thornberrys, Rugrats, That's So Raven, and so many more! Sometimes you just have to look back and think how awesome it was to be a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment