Monday, January 2, 2012

My Weekly Wonders: Law and Order SVU

As I've makes been soaking in the pleasure and relaxation that makes up winter break, I've also been enjoying watching lots of TV that I wouldn't normally watch during the school year. Not because I don't love these guilty-pleasure shows, but they aren't part of my "necessary list of TV shows." That sounds incredibly nerdy and sad, but it's true. With a busy schedule of school and extra curriculars, my life is waaay to hectic to be able to watch every show I want to watch.  So this week, after the holiday celebrations, I sat down to work on my new puzzle and watch one of the most beloved shows of my family; Law and Order SVU.



Though it's true that it's not specifically the Special Victims Unit that my family has always loved, this show is the current favorite as we cozy up next to a fire. But Law and Order in general has dated back for over a decade as a family pick. Yes, I'm talking back when Criminal Intent and plain old Law and Order were still on air and reruns with Lenny (if you were a real fan you'd know who I'm talking about) were playing constantly on TNT. Just as I did this week, my mom, sister, and I used to get out the fold-up card table with marshmallow tong burns and put together complex puzzles of puppies and random barns.  My sister was pretty addicted to various crime shows, and Law and Order, with it's plot twists and crime/court-room action, was just one of the many that she loved. Her obsession became ours as we watched episode after episode of these amazing shows.

My history with Law and Order has been a long one. I mean, I can literally recite every introduction that comes before each show. You know the one with the deep voice that comes before the dun-dun? Don't believe me? In the criminal justice system... just kidding. But I do know them all. But why has Law and Order SVU become my favorite? My family's favorite? How can it be basically the same show but still be different from the others? Well, first off I'd like to admit that I feel kind of creepy to announce that this one is my favorite.  Why you ask? It's called Special Victims Unit. Those "special victims" include either victims of sexual trauma or children. Or both. To an outsider that sounds really creepy, as if I enjoy to see that kind of thing. But it's not what is happening to the people that makes it enjoyable. It's the story-lines that follow. The cases are really interesting, and they always ALWAYS have a twist to them. Almost to the point that you can start predicting it. When my mom and I were watching an episode the other night and started shouting out what we thought was going to happen next. "She's gonna shoot him!" or "It was the dad!" or often right before the jury speaks, "Guilty!!" It's so fun, even if you're totally wrong.

Yes I know you're totally jealous but it's true I really do have this memorized...


What makes SVU different from the rest is not just because they deal with different crimes.  It's mostly due to the fact that they deal with different drama. Drama that I think is most appealing to audiences and a reason for why it has become the most popular. After a week of watching SVU and being made fun of for it from my dad, I found him sitting in the family room watching Law and Order Criminal Intent. After poking fun at him, I questioned why he liked this one better than the other.  We finally come to the agreement that SVU is a lot more drama and excitement based, whereas CI is a lot different. Its fans get their fix from the complex mysteries that unravel before their eyes. My dad wasn't so keen on the whole tear-filled, back-story of the detectives, drama that is SVU. But that's exactly why I love it. I love connecting with the characters in a way that is much more than just seeing them solve crimes.

Sadly my holiday has come to an end, and therefore my guilty-pleasure television must also. But hopefully Law and Order SVU and all the other ones out there, will continue to play for a long time. Their crazy plot lines will literally leave you breathless and always coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment