Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hiatus Depression

During my holiday break, I was able to watch a lot of old shows that I don't normally watch.  This is mostly due to the fact of excess time, but also from the depressing hiatus the swept throughout every network. Every year, around Christmas, shows go on multiple-week long breaks, many of them to celebrate the holidays if they are shot live or relatively recent.

But the shows that make episodes many months beforehand are much different. They don't necessarily need the break. There are a few reasons why I could see the break would be necessary. One is that they just follow the pack.  Many shows take breaks as sort of a tradition, a custom that all networks do to celebrate the winter holidays. There is also the idea that not many viewers aren't going to have time to watch these new episodes.  During the holidays, famillies are spending time with each other, going on vacations, not watch television.  Networks have realized and taken advantage of this by playing reruns instead. This is annual break deems necessary for networks to get the amount of viewership they so desire.

Lastly, some (and only a few) shows are already finished with their seasons! These shows aren't going on hiatus for the break, they're done for the year! They don't begin again until beginning of the fall again. This seems kind of crazy to me. That  a show could end so soon in the year. But Dexter, for example, is finished with it's season. There are a couple things that cross my mind when I think of this situation. One, how the heck do they get it done so fast? I'm thinking they start shooting earlier than other shows. Two, they only have twelve shows in a season. Twelve!? Most shows have like twenty-two to twenty-four! Who gave them the right to cheap out on the number of shows? And lastly, this is way worse than waiting for a short holiday break. I have to wait until freaking August to see what happens. And of course it's Dexter so it's end with the biggest cliff hanger in television! (I won't give it away if you haven't seen it.)

I'm not sure where my point is in this blog. Maybe that fact that I hate hiatus's (hiati? that looks like Haiti...)? Or that I hate cliff hangers in television? But I love cliff hangers. No, I love figuring out what happens after cliff hangers. Anyone ever what the lion library show (Between the Lions) with the cliff hanger guy?


There will always be a hiatus, break, whatever you want to call it for a television show.  It's a must, whether we like it or not. Does it have to me for such prolonged periods? That's debatable. But We must remember, the cast and crew do need a break once and awhile. Don't you wish television revolved around your obsessive needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment