Sunday, January 8, 2012

And the Golden Globe goes to...

I'm not as excited as I thought I would be for the Golden Globes this year. If you're unsure (I get confused as well) the Golden Globe awards give out tropheys to both outstanding television and film.  It would seem like a long show right? Well it is, but they cut out a lot so it actually could be a lot longer, but we'll get to back to that in a minute.  The Emmy's are just television, and the Oscars are strictly film. Then of course there are others such as the People Choice Awards coming up and all the random music awards that I don't pay attention to.

Anyway, this year Ricky Gervais is once again hosting. This surprises me so much, but actually not at all. Last year he "offended" a lot of people going his comedy routine.  It was both awkward and enjoyable at the same time.  Many people got mad at this for some reason. I mean yes it's kind of rude to make fun of you in front of millions of people, but common! They're celebrities! It's not like they've faced a hard life or something. Their job is to be put in front of millions. Being made fun of at an award show is just one of few hazards of being an actor/whatever else they might do.  So people got mad at Gervais. Was that not expected? We all know he's not afraid to let it all out. People got offended, and yet he's back again. Why? Because he's good TV. People tune in just to see him make fun of the top stars of Hollywood, and that's why Gervais keeps getting hired.  He makes them mad right after, but over time they just want him more and more.

Because this is a television blog, and I know very little about film, I will focus on the nominations for TV.  I'll start with drama because that's easy. I honestly have not watched any of the shows that are nominated. This is sad I know but these are shows have started not too long ago! American Horror Story, Boardwalk Empire, Boss, Game of Thrones, Homeland... these all started either this year or the year before. Plus they are all on channels that are less accessible (HBO, FX, Showtime, STARZ). The actors/actresses that are nominated are the same story.  I haven't seen any of these shows!



It kind of stinks how award shows choose shows that are more recent, but it's understandable. Most shows put out the best of their content early on to hook in viewership.  As seasons accumulate, the content dwindles as they run of plot material.  But what really surprises me is that the actors and actresses that work on these amazing shows also stop getting nominated (Hugh Laurie, Michael C. Hall, etc.) Is this because the shows get worse so the actors have less to work with? Or do the actors get worse with it? Or maybe they are just not being paid attention to? I'm clueless as to the reason, but you can see why I'm upset that the shows that I know and love don't get any recognition anymore.

With comedy you can find exceptions to this "television degradation" (yes, I did just make that up). This year Glee and Modern Family are nominated once again.  Modern Family I get, but Glee? I know the category is "comedy/musical" but really? Not 30 Rock or Parks and Recreation or any other comedy out there that is putting out really great stuff? I love Glee don't get me wrong, but I really don't see it being that great.  It was! It was great. But one of those shows that I really do believe degraded... As for the actor/actress nominations, I feel a lot better. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Alec Baldwin, and Johnny Galecki, these shows have been around for awhile!



Whether you've seen ever show I listed, or never even heard of it, the Golden Globes are a treat. You get to see al your favorite people from the big screen to little come out all dressed up and ready to get.  Gervais will be an interesting host no doubt, and I'm sure there will be plenty of good times as the speeches roll through the comedy section.  So go check it out! It will be airing next Sunday at 7 on NBC.

For the complete list of nominations check out the Golden Globes website.

No comments:

Post a Comment