Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Return of Izzie?

Hey there Grey's Anatomy fans! If you haven't heard, the beloved (or not so beloved) Izzie might be returning to Seattle Grace.  Yes, it's true. The actress Katherine Heigl has asked to come back and join the cast for the eighth season of Grey's.  For those of you who aren't familiar, Izzie was one of the main characters for a very long time on the show, and then one day randomly left the show.  Her exit was kind of strange, and I felt myself wanting to see her come back.  Maybe some of my loose end tying prayers will finally be answered.


Izzie Stevens began her role on the show in the very beginning. That's right, back in the day when Meredith, Christina, Karev, and George, all began there journeys to becoming surgeons.  Back then Izzie was dealing with her post-model status, Meredith's mother was still alive, and George acquired his infamous nickname 007. As the interns traveled along through the many drama-filled years, many moments in Grey's history come in mind when thinking about history. Like her fairly tale relationship with Denny the heart patient in which ended with tears (both her's and mine) as he dies after she risks her career to get him a new heart.  Another memorable image of Izzie is when she got cancer.  I remember her picking out wedding dresses and planning her big day to marry Karev, while dealing with harsh side effects of her chemo treatment. That was the easy I wanted to remember. The one that was hopelessly in love with Karev and fighting (and winning) her battle with cancer.  Although she survived, my favorite character George did not. The scene where the group is sitting on a tombstone, a fair distance from the funeral, is my favorite. I knew Grey's could make me cry at a funeral, but it took me aback when I found Izzie and others laughing. Not laughing at George of course, he was a best friend of them all. No, they were laughing at how many crazy things had happened. It was a strange and yet moving moment in the show, and I think it's one I will always remember.

Sadly Youtube did not provide the funeral scene, instead here's a clip of Izzie after Denny died:


So some might be against Izzie's character coming back. Maybe because she left Karev and maybe beause they never liked her. Whatever the reason, it will be up to the writers and producers of the show. They already have so much content.  They have dozens of different story lines, characters, and medical problems that all can create new dramas for the show. Yes, Izzie would spark some new interest, especially in fans of the earlier seasons, but in all I think the show will still be relatively the same.  Despite this realization, I really want Izzie to come back. Her character brings a different kind of flavor to the already flavorable cast. Ha, get it? Flavorable.. sounds like favorable... yeah. Anyway, for now we don't know what is in store for this twisty turny show, but whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be the awesome drama that Grey's Anatomy is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment