Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hello Again Premieres!

It's that time of year again. Actually, I did a similar weekly post called "Premiere Week" where I watched new shows pilots that I usually had to force myself to watch and then discussed in detail why I liked or for the most part disliked the show. I'm not doing something similar, I will be doing exactly the same, except now I will be reviewing pilots of shows premiering in this awkward mid-season time.

So what show did I choose to start of this exciting new (reoccurring) segment to my blog? Drum roll please......Are You There, Chelsea?! Let me just say, this show is weird. The original title was Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea. Who comes up with a name like that and thinks "Yeah, this show is totally going to work!" I mean really. How many successful shows out there right now have weird names? Yeah, barely any! I will admit though, that this title comes from Chelsea Handler's very popular book, but people aren't drawn to weird named shows! They're drawn to whether the show is creative and interesting. Strange names distract from what the show's actual potential could be. I'll give an example.  This is a show that I've only seen a couple times and haven't really gotten into it but the show Cougar Town is actually doing pretty well. When you think of the name Cougar Town, it seems to be favorable to a small portion of the attempted audience viewership. Just because of this, many people (including myself) will be turned off from the show just from the name!  It's true, I found myself thinking the show was stupid before I even started watching it. That's AP Psych right there! If you think something will be bad before you watch it, your perceptual set will cause you to believe that you don't like it.  Of course some people are able to look past the horrible name and see the true potential of the show, which is why Cougar Town has lasted so long because it's actually a very good show, so I've heard...


Where am I going with this? Well, I'm happy they did change the name for the Are You There, Chelsea? Even that is annoying to type out.  If they hadn't changed it, I fell like it would automatically fail. What man on earth would want to watch a show called Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea. I mean really? And it automatically gives the show a vibe that is non-family-friendly. I guess what I'm trying to say is titles that suck are good indicators that the show itself will suck also.

When I began watching the pilot I was hopeful. I like Chelsea Handler, I think she's really funny. I wasn't too happy when I found out that Chelsea doesn't actually play herself in the show. Oh yeah, you heard me right. Or read me right? Anyway, Chelsea actually plays the sister named Sloane who was pregnant (and gave birth in the pilot) on the show and deals with taking care of her sister Chelsea. Chelsea (the character) played by Laura Prepon works at a bar and lives with an annoying roommate and has a fairly interesting life.  Yes, the show is interesting! Surprising right? No, it's somewhat funny and has interesting writing, but it's just really awkward and doesn't really have anything that is very good or entertaining.

When I say this, I'm trying very hard to give this show an honest review that portrays the show in a way that is only informational. It's hard because this is completely my opinion.  Someone else might think this show is amazing and watches every episode. They probably haven't watched a lot of quality television but I'm here to tell the rest of you what this show does have to offer.  I'll be honest, I don't really like it. But! I'm not saying it's horrible. There are some funny lines and it does have potential.  In it's early stages yes, it's going to awkward. Aren't all shows? I'm not sure what I'm arguing for, so I will end on this note: if you want to try out watching this show... maybe you like Chelsea Handler too, I mean she is pretty awesome... check it out on the down-spiraling comedy output center that is NBC... it had to be said, I mean what happened to the innovative comedy shows NBC used to put out?... on Wednesday nights at 8:30/7:30c.

No comments:

Post a Comment