Sunday, February 12, 2012

First Impressions

A few months ago when many shows first began, I watched their pilots in hopes of judging how they would do. For the most part I was pretty critical. I didn't like a lot of the new shows and predicted that a lot of them wouldn't do well. So, I decided to check up on these shows. See how they were doing. Here's what I found. Oh, and each title has a link to the original post. Enjoy!

1. Pan Am
What can I say? I was right. This show failed.  It's true I didn't like this show very much, but I did mention that it had potential (as I do for a lot of shows I don't like). This show isn't officially cancelled, but it's doing horribly. The viewership has been plummeting since the very beginning. I think the only reason it hasn't been pronounced dead (cancelled) is because they still want advertising for the rest of the season.



2. New Girl
This show has really surprised me.  Not only does it have a large audience watching it every week, but it honestly is putting out creative and funny material. My prediction suggested that the show was cute and had potential (here I go again). That was an understatement. This show is doing very well!  In fact, Zooey Deschanel just hosted SNL Saturday and both her and the show have been nominated for Golden Globes. To make sure I was (slightly) wrong I watched a couple episodes of New Girl. It was really fun to watch, and I plan on watching more in the future.

3. Up All Night
This is a show that I knew could do well, it just wasn't. I love all the actors in this show, and I really wanted it to do well. After I saw the pilot, I didn't really know what was going to happen. I thought it wasn't really that funny and it wasn't very creative. After watching a more recent episode, I'm starting to see why it's catching on. This show isn't the most popular, but it does have some random sparks of innovation.  I could see this show going either way. For now, it's doing okay.

4. Last Man Standing
Barf. I really really do not like this show. And yet it's doing well. I sometimes question the intelligence of the audience that continue to watch this show. Okay, yes it has Tim Allen. And yes it may have a few jokes that make your parents laugh. But really? The humor is reeeeeally cheap. This has been something I've said a lot recently (not on this blog). When I say the humor is cheap, I mean that they don't make much effort to get the audience laughing.  You might think this is a good thing, like it's easy for them to be funny. Wrong! Cheap comedy is kind of lazy and it's used mostly in bad sitcoms to take advantage of the many Americans who think it is funny regardless.  I don't know why, but I am completely immune to this humor.  It just doesn't tickle me like it does other people. I like really clever and smart humor. Wow, I sound really full of myself. I'm going to stop.



5. Whitney
Oh Whitney. This show is quite possibly the extreme opposite of Last Man Standing. The humor is definitely not cheap because Whitey Cummings, a successful stand-up comedian, writes and stars in the show.  This show was also renewed... to my dismay. Not that I don't like it, I just did not find much enjoyment in it.  Does that make sense? No. As I said in my first review, it has a lot of stand-up-like jokes in it that honestly don't sound very natural.  Who talks to someone for like five minutes ranting about one subject in a funny way and no one laughs (other than the fake audience)? That's just awkward. Okay, so maybe I kind of like this show.  But not in a way that I want to keep watching it. I'm just acknowledging the fact that it doesn't suck. Or does it? I don't know.

Well, as you can see I never really know what I'm talking about when it comes to reviewing shows.  I would suggest relying the viewership ratings to determine if a show is good or not, but then you get weird people who obsess over shows like Last Man Standing. It seems like you can't really predict how a show will do based on it's first impression... but I think for the most part I can tell whether it will be on my list of favorites or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment